Thursday 25 June 2020

Out of the Wilderness...

For some reason even I don't fully understand I decided to have a look at this blog. Imagine my surprise when I discovered I was still on here as a participant. You really should do something about that.

I have been missing the mass along with many other people and have struggled with daily prayers. I had even taken to walking over to the church at midday to say the Angelus. Just for the record I had been accustomed to receiving communion on the tongue according to the current rubrics. Sadly, kneeling is somewhat of a problem unless I have something solid to hold on to. I am fortunate to be able to genuflect at all, though I imagine that too will pass.

I am grateful that I have been able to return to mass, though I find the procedures somewhat irritating. Since I am in a prime risk group and I wish to go to mass, I put up with it.  I have had one or two encounters with parishioners who just wanted to get a bit too close. I find that from my shoulder to the tip of my cane measures five feet and at least one of these parishioners has ended up staring at the end of my cane. So far no one has attempted to confiscate my cane at the door.

I have received communion in the hand and fumbled with my mask in the process. It was awkward but after such a long fast I was extremely grateful. Confession was more of a problem but I was able to get to a neighboring parish with a friendly pastor. Monthly trips to St. Patrick's will have to wait.

A great tragedy in all of this is the number of people who have died without any access to the sacraments. I will remember them in my prayers.

2 comments:

Vox Cantoris said...

You have stayed away for too long.

Barona said...

Welcome back my friend.....