Friday 6 September 2019

Toronto-area Mass for the Feast of the Holy Name of Mary


Dear friends, this coming Thursday is the Feast of the Holy Name of Mary. Please invite family, friends, and those of good will who are searching for the Truth.

Let us call to mind the words of salutation given to Mary by the Archangel Gabriel on the greatest day in human history:

"Into her presence the angel came, and said: Hail, thou who art full of grace; the Lord is with thee; blessed art thou among women." (Luke 1:28).

Let similar words be on our lips.

3 comments:

John Haggerty said...

It is a sadness to me that the Reformed tradition does not honour Mary as the Mother of God.
I told a Catholic friend that there is always something missing for me at the end of a Protestant service. 'Mary is the person you are missing,' she replied.

'O Divine Baby in the cradle,
All that is pride in me
Is my mind bowed in homage
Upon Your Mother's knee.

'O Divine Baby in the cradle,
All that is joy in me
Is that I have saved from the ruin
Of my soul Your infancy.'

'Christmas, 1939' by Patrick Kavanagh (1904-1967).

Only when the unbelievers begin to contemplate the terrible nature of sin, and the ruin of souls everywhere, will they be able to come to Jesus Christ.

Jesus Christ
Son of God,
Have mercy on me,
A sinner.

J Haggerty said...

I do not think of you lying in the wet clay
Of a Monaghan graveyard; I see
You walking down a lane among the poplars
On your way to the station, or happily

Going to second Mass on a summer Sunday -
You meet me and you say:
'Don't forget to see about the cattle - '
Among your earthiest words the angels stray.'

In Memory of My Mother
Patrick Kavanagh

One of your best writers, Jane Urquhart, speaks profoundly of her Irish roots (YouTube) as you do about your Polish roots.

It occurs to me that we should pray daily for all writers, artists, creative people, academics, journalists, media people, and thinkers; asking God to 'rechristen' (C.S. Lewis's phrase) our culture, through their works and ideas and endeavours.

John Haggerty said...

Bring Back the Communion Rails! - Fr. Mark Goring, CC.

YouTube: 6 September 2019.