Monday 28 June 2021

Sainthood is all that matters

A comment on a post I made the other week, made as it was on a public forum, necessitates some clarification on said post.

I was speaking about quietly forming one's convictions and standing your ground when your convictions are put on the spot. My experiences that day reminded me of that principle as it is reiterated throughout Scripture. Perhaps the most famous iteration of that principle is when Our Lord Jesus Christ Himself (Blessed be His Name forever!) did not beat about the bush when He said that if we were lukewarm about anything pertaining to Him, He would spit us out. (Pretty striking imagery, if I may say so.) I was obscure about it, yes, and that was to allow readers to draw their own fruit from my reflection. Sometimes, less is more.

As I have said elsewhere, there are times and places to address the concerns of today. This is what Barona does by addressing the education crisis in the Archdiocese of Toronto time and time again (he did just that the other day). Everyday for Life, Canada writes on the same subject matter pretty much full-time, although he does cover areas outside of the "Arch." Vox Cantoris has made it his mission to cover many of the overarching concerns about orthodoxy and heterodoxy in today's Roman Catholic Church, be it globally or locally. I cannot hold a candle against any of these (local) bloggers, but I suspect Our Lord's admonition against being lukewarm is a deeply held conviction of their own.

I have taken a different stance, drawing from the Church's teachings on the hidden life to subsequently form many of my own convictions in the solitude of my heart. Offering reflections as I have been doing lately comes from that same place, while also holding the tenet that "all will be held to account" before my eyes continually. I take a risk each time I post (even anonymously!), but life is filled with risks. Working out our salvation with fear and trembling is something no Catholic can avoid. The saints before us knew this, saints such as St. Catherine of Siena and St. Irenaeus of Lyons.

In sum, that comment was a welcome grace and reminder that I am to go ever deeper into what I am already in. I leave the present reader to consider the statement put forward in this blog post's title.

Sainthood is all that matters.

May God bless you all.

St. Catherine of Siena accepting the Crown of Suffering from Our Lord

2 comments:

Everyday For Life Canada said...

The post is a great reminder about the mission of our short earthly pilgrimage. It’s about saving our souls. I would humbly suggest to leave the title and the second last sentence at a declarative statement without posing the question: “Sainthood is all that matters.” Thank you TCW.

Irenaeus said...

Thank you for your kind and humble suggestion, Everyday for Life, Canada.