Tuesday 24 April 2012

Lower Class?

I remember a story that was once told about a rather prominent convert from the Anglican Church to the Roman Catholic. The convert's mother, upon hearing of her son's conversion said "I wouldn't mind so much except that now you will be going to church with the servants." If anyone can pin this story down in the combox I would appreciate it.

One of the remarkable things about Acts of the Apostles is that it tells us of a church where social status and class was not so important. "And all who believed were together and had all things in common; and they sold their possessions and goods and distributed them to all, as any had need." Acts 2:44  I could go on...

Everyone knows people they look away from when they pass, hoping they will not start a conversation. These are people you would not invite to a wedding feast for fear they might cause embarrassment. These are the forgotten people. My friend Trout talks to these people... in fact he talks to people that make me a tad nervous. In this he is is a constant reminder that these forgotten people have a dignity and worth that transcends their class or station in life. Thank you.

No comments: