Monday 30 July 2012

Devout Life

Today, I would like to talk about the devout life. Throughout his life St. Francis De Sales worked to instruct his friends and followers in the devout life. He left us a great testimony to his life's work in his book the "Introduction to the Devout Life."

As we try to practice the devout life we learn that it is composed of two elements: First, a struggle against our lower life or nature, Second, the union of our wills with God. In other words, Penance and Love. The end to which we are aiming is a life of loving, simple, generous and constant fidelity to the will of God. The means of achieving this is Jesus himself, whom we have to keep before our eyes at all times. We should study our Lord Jesus Christ and try to live our lives and actions, just as he did. The devout life is nothing less than the giving of yourself totally to Jesus in this life, so as to hopefully hear Him say to you at the end, "Well done good and faithful servant."

My dear friends and fellow Catholics, I encourage you to seek for a more devout life by studying your faith, and by taking some time out of your busy life to pray and meditate on the life of Jesus and Mary.

When we came together as a group to study and pray I was asked, "What do you want out of this group as you read and pray The Introduction to the Devout Life?" My answer to this must be, to grow in the devout life, to love Jesus with all my heart and soul, and to increase my desire to be in the arms of my God in heaven. I would hope that all Catholics have this goal in their lives, as they battle against the evils of this world. Nothing is more important to me than this. So my dear Catholic brothers and sisters, please keep me in your prayers.

In thanksgiving let us pray:
Now therefore, your King is here, whom you have chosen and desired.

JESUS! JESUS! JESUS!

Thou hast come to me in the sacrament of thy love. Thou hast been pleased to make my poor heart thy sanctuary. Welcome Jesus Welcome! Thou art the God of my Heart, and the God that is my portion forever. I praise and bless thee for thy goodness and mercy. "Let all thy works O lord praise thee! And let thy Saints bless thee.

1 comment:

Barona said...

This is really a beautiful and meditative posting. Quite lovely. Thank-you Montfort!