![]() |
| Fr. Duffy with parishioners Photo: Celia Klemenz/Metroland |
Why has Fr. John Duffy of the Archdiocese of Toronto been removed from his parish and had his faculties removed by Thomas Cardinal Collins? Why has he been suspended? Given that this has been made public by the Archdiocese of Toronto, these are legitimate questions that must be asked. And, they must be answered.
My understanding is that the removal of the faculties of a priest of 20 years in good standing, a pastor of a parish (Sacred Heart in Uxbridge, Ontario) for some years is extremely strange without us being told why Fr. Duffy was suspended. It is imperative that the Cardinal immediately clarify this situation, as the parishioners of Sacred Heart request. An excellent review of the situation may be read here and here.
Readers should review the petition and public statement made by Fr. Duffy and draw their own conclusions.
Interestingly, Fr. Duffy said:
... I will always have the consolation of knowing that I defended Christ's Church, speaking out publicly from this pulpit about corrupt politicians - and, yes, corrupt politicians in the Church who have acquiesced, capitulated and accepted teaching that that will destroy the innocence of our children in our Catholic Schools - and religious - political careerists who, rather than vociferously and courageously lead, remain silent as pre-born children continue to be murdered.
I served Christ first !
As I say farewell, please pray for me, as I will for you, and - yes - I will pray daily for the lay people, priests and bishops that have worked so hard to destroy my good name - and my priesthood. In particular, I would like to thank, from the bottom of my heart, all of those who have faithfully supported me, aware of my situation, over these past years.
I love you all very much! Please continue to keep me in your good prayers - and also pray for our church fathers.
Farewell, my friends !

I urge you to please ask lots of questions! Why was this kept "secret" for 2.5 years? Where is the paper trail? Why is neither the Church nor Fr. Duffy sharing the documentation to support their positions? I personally am aware that this conflict between Fr. Duffy and the Archbishop's office has been going on for *many* years. It's time to open the files and let everyone see what has transpired and resulted in such a significant conflict between the parties. Message to the Moderator: Please know that I am being respectful of all parties, but I must insist that the files and supporting documentation be shared in a transparent way. Thank you!
ReplyDeleteDear Anonymous -
ReplyDeleteMy name is Father John Matthew Duffy, former Pastor of Sacred Heart Parish, Uxbridge.
Most certainly, to avoid scandalizing the Faithful, I have kept this matter secret for the last two years.
In fact, I am very deeply disappointed, and astonished, that this tragedy was allowed to recklessly careen into the public arena.
And as a priest who loves my Catholic Faith, I hope and pray that this situation will be resolved justly and amicably before it devolves into further tragedy.
Should you wish to identify yourself, Anonymous, you are most welcome to contact me.
Fr. Duffy, I've contacted you many, many times, left messages on parish phone, your cell, etc! Sadly, you handle conflict by screening phone calls. Correction: your conflict with the Archbishop's office has been going on for at least a decade that I am aware of. Time to start reaching out and working together with everyone to resolve this amicably, as you say. Truly wishing you all the very best!
ReplyDelete